WhatsApp is the most widely used messaging platform available. Thanks to the free and flexible nature, the app adds up to be a great daily life utility. From sending text messages to dealing with voice and video calls, from sharing media flawlessly to receiving and sending payments, WhatsApp Messenger lets you connect with your contacts in the most promising manner. However, the availability of this messenger only on smartphones leaves the tablet and iPad users deprived of all the brilliant elements that this utility app is home to.
But wait, just because you don’t have a dedicated WhatsApp Messenger for iPad/tablet doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll be left apart from using the fantastic service. Yes, you read that right. There are quite a few genuine ways by which you can not only install the WhatsApp app on your iPad/tablet but can also use it for free. With that being said, let us walk through the entire process of getting it done. We’ll individually look at all the steps involved in installing WhatsApp on tablets and iPads.
How to Install WhatsApp on Tablet/iPad
Installing WhatsApp on Android Tablet
If your Android tablet comes with a SIM slot, then it is pretty evident you can seamlessly install and use WhatsApp. But what if you own an Android tablet that entirely runs on Wi-FI networks? Well, the good news is, you can still use WhatsApp, and there are three genuine ways of actually doing it.
- Using the WhatsApp Web Services
- Installing WhatsApp apk
- Taking Help From Some Third-Party App
Using the WhatsApp Web Services
In case you’re wondering what WhatsApp web is all about, it is an official web-based client that allows users to mirror their existing WhatsApp on any browser. In simple words, you can use this service and transform your whatapp conversations and everything else to a tablet/iPad or any other device for that matter.
Here is how you can do it:
- The very first thing that you’ll need to do is open the Chrome browser on your tablet.
- Once done, hover over to the three dots on the top right corner and select the option that says, “Desktop Site.”
- After that, visit https://web.whatsapp.com. Alternatively, you can also search for Whatsapp web and click the appropriate option.
- Next up, you’ll need to take your smartphone and launch WhatsApp on it.
- Navigate to the “three-dots” menu and tap on “Linked Devices,” followed by “Link Device.”
- Finally, you’ll need to scan the QR code on the web portal and start using WhatsApp on your tablet.
- Now before you start using Whatsapp by this method, it is essential for you to keep in mind that WhatsApp web is entirely a type of mirroring service. Hence it totally depends upon the activity and connection on your smartphone to make sure the whole chat database is updated.
Installing WhatsApp apk
We’re all aware of the fact that Android uses “apk” (Android Package Kit) to deal with apps and the scenes are no different with WhatsApp. With that being said, one way to install WhatsApp on your tablet is by downloading a corresponding apk file from trustworthy sources.
Don’t know how it is done? Well, let us walk through.
- Firstly, visit the official website of APKMirror. Although there are quite a number of websites that can give you quick access to WhatsApp apk, we’ll be using APKMirror for this guide.
- Use the search bar to locate WhatsApp.
- Once you find it, download and install the same.
- Before installation, you will need to provide your tablet with permission to install from external sources. To do that, you can simply navigate to the security settings in your browser and toggle the switch under “Install Unknown Apps” that says “Allow from this source.”
- Gift some time to your device until the installation concludes.
- Now Launch the WhatsApp app.
- Next, you’ll see the setup process. Simply enter the required details, including the phone number that is accessible.
- After that, select the “Call Me” option under the verification screen.
- Enter the six-digit secret code to verify your number and start using WhatsApp on your tablet even without a SIM Card.
Taking Help From Some Third-Party App
For those who fail to use WhatsApp apk on their tablet, there is a simple way out. Various third-party apps are designed in a manner to help you install and use WhatsApp on tablets with no issues whatsoever. One such is Text Now.
- Simply install Text Now from the Google Play Store
- Navigate to the page that lets you generate a phone number.
- Once you’ve your secondary phone number ready, launch the downloaded WhatsApp (Steps mentioned earlier)
- Onto the setup screen, enter the newly generated phone number and continue with the verification process.
Note: The services of Text Now are limited to certain countries. So in case, you fail to access Text Now, look for other similar apps with good user ratings and reviews.
Installing WhatsApp on iPad
Using WhatsApp Web
- Launch Safari on your iPad.
- Visit https://web.whatsapp.com and make sure it loads up in the desktop version.
- Next, launch WhatsApp on your iPhone and tap “Settings.”
- From the menu that appears, click on the option that says, “WhatsApp Web/Desktop.”
- Now take your phone next to the iPad and tap on the “Scan QR code” button.
- As soon as the scan concludes, your iPad will get connected to the existing WhatsApp profile.
- You’ll now be able to view, interact and, even respond to the messages. But again, the entire thing is done through your smartphone’s connection.
Installing WhatsApp on iPad Using a PC or Mac
- Launch your Mac and connect your iPad.
- Head over to the iTunes store.
- Use the search field and look for WhatsApp. On the list build for iPhones, you’ll find the WhatsApp Messenger app; simply download it.
- Now navigate to the music folder and click on the iTunes option.
- Clicking on that will redirect you to the Mobile Applications page.
- There you’ll see a list of ipa files. Find the WhatsApp messenger ipa and transfer the same to your Mac or PC.
- It is now time to attract the ipa file to your iPad. For that very task, you’ll need another utility called iFunbox. Download and launch it to proceed further.
- Once you launch the iFunbox utility, search for the WhatsApp ipa and click on that.
- Your device will then take a few seconds before concluding the entire installation.
- Once you’ve got WhatsApp Messenger installed, the next up is to conclude the registration process. For that, you’ll need an iPhone in particular.
- Install WhatsApp on your iPhone (or reinstall it if you already have that on your device)
- From the setup screen that appears, register yourself after verifying the phone number.
- Disconnect the iPad from your Mac and connect your iPhone to it.
- Launch the iFunbox utility one more time and find the “User Application” folder.
- Navigate to the “Library and Documents” folder.
- From there, you’ll be required to transfer all the data that is required for registration to your desktop.
- Once done, disconnect your iPhone and reconnect the iPad in focus.
- Launch iFunbox, navigate to User Application.
- Under the Library and Documents folder, look for the files and simply replace them with the one you’ve on your desktop already.
- Disconnect the iPad and restart it.
- Finally, send the confirmation code, verify, and you’re done installing Whatsapp on your iPad.
Can I Use WhatsApp on iPad/Tablet Without a Phone?
Although you can install WhatsApp on your tablet or iPad with no help from the smartphone itself, using the services is not possible without bringing the smartphone into the scene. WhatsApp doesn’t really need any phone unless you have a phone number and a system ready to get yourself registered with the server. No matter if you wish to use the official web client or the WhatsApp apk file on an Android tablet, the process of registration will need you to have access to your smartphone. Additionally, on iPad, you’ll need to have an iPhone ready to make sure you finalize a working WhatsApp ipa file.
As soon as you conclude the registration process, you’ll not need your smartphone anymore. You can seamlessly continue using WhatsApp on your iPad/tablet until you wish to log yourself out. But again, if the WhatsApp web client is what you’re after, well, then having your smartphone active is essential.
Why does WhatsApp Not Work on iPad?
Yes, it is a sad reality that WhatsApp is still unavailable for iPads. Although there are quite a few ways of getting the services running, you still need to be prepared for facing some issues here and there.
First, if you’re willing to use the web.whatsapp.com to access your chats on iPad, one thing needs to be crystal clear inside your head that it is only a mirroring. For that very reason, you can’t expect notifications to hit up your iPad every time you receive a new message. Also, this web-based service runs until your smartphone has an active connection. In other words, you can’t just remove WhatsApp from your smartphone entirely and expect the web platform to work after that.
When we talk about the other method of getting WhatsApp permanently installed on your iPad, a few things might again come into play, which can prevent the messenger from working.
iPhone is a Must: If you don’t own an iPhone or cannot access one from your contacts, forget about using WhatsApp on the iPad. As you can notice from the steps mentioned above, you’ll need the iOS device files to conclude the registration process, without which the app will rest as a useless entity.
Failing to Receive Verification Code: Installing WhatsApp on iPad might sometimes run users in trouble during the verification phase. Once you try to get the code via SMS, it might fail a lot of times. It is thus recommended you request the code through a phone call.
- First thing, you should remove the SIM card from the donor iPhone and then reinstall WhatsApp on it.
- Also, ensure no to activate the same SIM card and log in to WhatsApp on any other device. The reason is, WhatsApp is built to run on one device at a time.
Can I Make Video Calls on WhatsApp on My iPad?
If you wish to use the web client for running WhatsApp on your iPad, then sadly, there will be no option for you to make video calls. As of now, the developers haven’t included the functionality to let users carry video calls over the web portal. However, those looking to do video calls any way can use the other method of installing the WhatsApp ipa file ( steps are mentioned earlier). Once you install WhatsApp Messenger on your iPad using the method mentioned earlier, you’ll get introduced to an interface similar to one in your iPhone. You can then hover over to the desired contact from the main screen and use the “video calling” icon on the top right corner to make video calls for free.
- Launch the installed WhatsApp on your iPad.
- Select the desired contact.
- Once you’re inside the chat page, look at the top right corner and locate a video icon.
- Tap on that icon.
- Once you do so, you’ll come across a pop-up stating “WhatsApp would like to access the microphone”, followed by another one which says “WhatsApp would like to access the camera.” Click “OK” in both cases.
- Enjoy video calling over your iPad.
The Best WhatsApp Alternatives for Tablets/iPad
If you’re wondering if there are any alternatives to WhatsApp that can help iPad and tablet users enjoy seamless social messages and media sharing experience, we’ve got a piece of great news. After days of research, here we bring you the three best platforms that you need to try in 2021
- It is a free cloud-based messaging platform available for almost every platform.
- The platform seamlessly supports voice calls, video calls, sharing media, and much more.
- Element is entirely free and safe to use social messaging platforms.
- Enables users to carry video and voice chats.
- Signal is a free open source tool home to signal optimized features to make sure you have a seamless messaging experience.
- From quality rich video calls to top-notch audio calling functionality, get in touch with your loved ones in the most promising manner.
You can of course, also use Facebook’s messenger, but messages sent on that app won’t be encrypted. It also applies to other messenger apps, which is why we didn’t include them in the list.
In case you had any questions regarding the process of installing WhatsApp on your iPad/tablet, well, here is the answer. In this article, we’ve talked about everything you need to know for using WhatsApp Messenger right away.