Giving children access to a tablet is a good way for them to kill time and have some fun, but one must do it with caution, given the content they may be exposed to online. This is where parental controls come in. Amazon makes some amazing tablets that are affordable and dependable, and luckily these tablets come with parental controls built-in. But what if you forget the password to access them? Have you ever caught yourself frantically googling ‘forgot parental control password kindle fire’? Then you’ve come to the right place because we are going to show you how to disable parental controls on Kindle Fire!
If you’re trying to turn off parental controls on your Kindle Fire and can’t recall the password, simply swipe down from the top of the screen and tap Parental Controls. To reset the PIN, first, enter the wrong PIN 5 times until you are asked to reset your parental controls password. You will then be asked to enter your Amazon account credentials, after which you can set a new password or PIN.
Forgot Parental Control Password Kindle Fire
If you accidentally forget your parental controls password, your first reaction might be to ask yourself why you set them in the first place. But parental controls are a fantastic idea because you do not want your children to access the darker corner of the web. Parental controls are pretty effective at keeping kids away from illegal or adult content. Let’s look at all the advantages of parental controls.
Benefits of parental controls
Here’s a list of all the benefits:
- Restricts kids from accessing adult or violent content.
- You can apply them on your Kindle Fire, and they will work regardless of location, so you don’t have to constantly hover over your children.
- You can customize the control settings for kids of different ages, allowing older kids more access.
- You can restrict the information that your children share online that could expose them to dangerous persons.
- You can set time limits on their usage.
- You can easily track your child’s location via the tablet.
As you can see, it’s incredible how much easier this technology makes your job as a parent! You can read more on Amazon’s page about parental controls.
How to apply parental controls
It’s pretty easy to set up Parental Controls on your Kindle Fire tablet. Simply follow these steps:
- Open up the Settings app. That’s the one with the cog or gear icon. Scroll down until you see Parental Controls.
- If you’ve never activated parental controls before, you will have to toggle the switch, and then you will be asked to set a password. As soon as you set this password (and we recommend you write it down somewhere!), you will see all the controls that you get access to. This includes settings or restrictions for absolutely everything, from various apps to email or camera, browser, WiFi settings, Amazon shopping, etc.
- Here you can fine-tune the controls as per your preferences, and that’s it!
- Pro-tip: The parental controls setting on Kindle Fire also has an activity monitoring option, so if you’d like to monitor what your child is doing when on the tablet, this is a great option. You can read more on the Amazon Parent Dashboard.
Here’s a great video on the parental controls settings, if you want to take a look:
How to change parental controls
Changing parental controls on a Kindle Fire is a breeze. You can access parental controls by the earlier mentioned method of navigating to Settings > Parental Controls. You can also swipe down from the top of your tablet and tap on Parental Controls if it is activated at the time. You will then be asked to enter the password that you set earlier.
Once you’re in the menu, change the setting you want to. You can do a variety of things here — set a schedule, restrict access to email or camera, block apps, or even restrict internet access. Note that restricting internet access means that you won’t be able to reset your Parental Controls password in case you forget it because you need to log in to your Amazon account to reset it!
Removing parental controls
And as you take away, you can giveth! You can remove parental controls from your Kindle Fire completely if you want to. All you need to do is look for the Settings app on your tablet, scroll down to parental controls, and tap it. Once inside, you can hit the toggle switch, and you will be asked for your parental controls password, and once you submit it, the controls will be switched off.
How to Reset Parental Controls on Kindle Fire
So you’ve forgotten your parental controls password — worry not, it happens to the best of us! To reset parental controls on Kindle Fire, simply follow these steps. Note that the below steps are possible only if your tablet is connected via WiFi. If not, the only option would be a factory reset, meaning all of your downloaded content will be lost.
Let’s look at the password reset option first:
- Swipe down from the notification bar so that you see the message ‘Parental controls – on.’ Tap this.
- You will be asked to enter your parental controls password. Enter any wrong password 5 times.
- After the fifth attempt, you will see an option to ‘Reset your Parental Controls Password.’
- Once you tap this, the next page will ask you to log in to your Amazon account. Enter your password here, and you should be able to set a new parental controls password.
If you’re on your profile and you’ve forgotten the Parental Controls password for your child’s profile, the method is not radically different. You just need to go to Settings > Parental Controls, tap the toggle switch, and enter the wrong password five times. You will then be asked to reset it on a page where you have to enter your Amazon login details. You can then set a new password here.
Factory reset Kindle Fire
If you’ve turned off WiFi access as a restriction when your tablet is under Parental Controls, this is bad news because now you have no option except to factory reset your tablet. This basically means that your tablet will be reset to factory settings, and your downloaded content will be wiped out.
So to reset your tablet, enter the wrong password 5 times on the lock screen. You will then see an option that asks you to factory reset your device. Once you select this and confirm, the process will then begin. It should take about 5 to ten minutes, but once your tablet reboots, you will be asked to set up your tablet as brand new again. However, once you link your Amazon account, you should still be able to download all your apps. But your personal data will still be wiped.
By the way, if you haven’t read them already, you should check out all the points we wrote on how to unlock an Amazon Fire tablet. A great link to hang on to lest you get locked out again!
How to Reset Amazon Account Password
If you need to reset your Amazon account password, you can do that by following these steps:
- Open up a browser on your tablet, PC, or even phone.
- Go to www.amazon.com
- You should see a Sign-In button on the top right-hand corner. Click that.
- On the sign-in window, you should see a Forgot Password option.
- Tapping this will take you to the Password Assistance page, where you can ask for an OTP (one-time-password) to be sent to either your phone number or your email address.
- Once you submit the OTP on the assistance page, you will then be asked to enter a new password. So go ahead and choose one, and please make a note of it!
That’s it! Now use the new password to log in to your Amazon devices or wherever else you need your Amazon credentials. Speaking of Amazon devices, have you read our review of the Amazon Fire HD 10 2021 yet?
Frequently Asked Questions
What do I do if I forgot my parental controls password?
If you forget your parental controls password, all you need to do is swipe down from the notification bar and tap it (or navigate to Settings > Parental Controls) and enter the wrong password 5 times. You will then be asked to reset your password on a page where you need to authenticate your Amazon account.
How do I turn off parental controls on Kindle Fire without password?
The parental controls on Kindle Fire cannot be turned off without a password. You could try and enter the wrong password 5 times, upon which you will be redirected to an Amazon account login page, where you can reset the password. But this is not useful unless you know the Amazon account login details.
We hope we helped resolve the forgot parental control password kindle fire issue. As you read above, getting back in is pretty easy once you figure out how to reset parental controls on kindle fire. We’d love to know if this hack worked for you, so definitely leave us a message in the comments section below.