Let’s admit it — children spend an unhealthy and addicting amount of time on YouTube these days. But what is more concerning about the time spent watching the screen is the content they are viewing.
Today’s guide aims to explain how to block YouTube on iPad. All of you concerned parents can learn how to restrict, lock, or block YouTube access, whether it is via a web browser or the app itself.
So without further ado, let’s dive in and eliminate all distractions with a few simple clicks.
How to Block YouTube on iPad
Are your children spending too much time on YouTube? Here are the best ways to block YouTube:
- Launch the Settings App and click on Screen Time.
- If it’s not activated, first tap on Turn On Screen Time.
- Next, set limits for YouTube under App Limits.
- Restrict YouTube in iPad browsers, such as Firefox, Chrome, or Safari, in the Content & Privacy Restrictions section.
And now you know how to block YouTube on your kid’s iPad!
How to Block the YouTube App on iPad
As a parent, it is impossible to continuously monitor the content your kids are exposed to. This means that what might begin as a bunch of nursery rhymes or informational videos about the solar system can quickly snowball into inappropriate content.
Even if YouTube is a fun and popular online app, it can easily become a major distraction. Therefore, if you want to prevent your kids from going overboard with screen hours or simply desire a digital detox for yourself, learning how to block YouTube on an iPad is a great place to start.
The best part is that there is no need to install any fancy, sophisticated software to achieve this. You only have to modify the settings from the iPad. It is up to you to block the notorious app from the website or the app itself.
Lucky for you, the next sections will show multiple ways to either block or restrict this app. Surf through the below bulletproof solutions and secure fewer online hours for you and your family.
Let’s get started.
Set An Age Restriction
Age Restriction is an excellent feature that displays various blocking options, such as parental controls. But first, you have to enable it on the device.
Then, follow these instructions to learn how to block YouTube on iPad:
- Launch Settings and click on Screen Time.
- Open Content and Privacy Restrictions.
- Allow Content & Privacy Restrictions.
- Click on Content Restrictions.
- Tap on Apps and set the limit at 12+. If you want, you may lower the limit even further.
- Your iPad will only unveil apps with an age rating of 12. Since the age rating of YouTube is 17+, it will be automatically blocked.
If the app is previously installed on the device, it will disappear and won’t be accessible anymore. But if you haven’t already installed it, the App Store won’t showcase it because of the age rating.
While the method is practical, it comes with a downside. Apart from YouTube, the age restriction will also hide other apps that are rated 17+. But if parents wish to distance their children from inappropriate content, this drawback won’t be a deal breaker. Therefore, we recommend this method for parents with young children.
Whenever you want to unblock YouTube, follow the instructions mentioned above. But in the 4th step, opt for Allow All Apps.
Delete the App
Another foolproof method of blocking YouTube on iPad is to simply delete it from the device. Afterward, restrict the installation of new apps.
The core advantage of choosing this method instead of the first one is that you will be able to install and use apps regardless of age rating. After you are certain that you have all the apps you will ever need, delete the YouTube app and disable new app installations.
Here are the steps to restrict YouTube on the device by stopping the app from being installed again:
- From the Home Screen, press and hold down the YouTube app icon.
- Now, choose Remove App.
- From the available options, tap on Delete App and confirm it.
- Launch the Settings App and go to Screen Time.
- Click on Content & Privacy Restrictions and ensure that the toggle switch is turned on.
- Press the iTunes & App Store Purchases.
- Tap on Installing Apps and pick Don’t Allow.
- Alternatively, tap “Always Require” in the Require Password section below. This would stop your child from installing any apps unless they have the password, which only you will know.
Now, the App Store will vanish, and you won’t be able to access it again on the iPad. This means that neither you nor your kid will be able to install new apps because there is no longer an App Store.
If you ever want to revert this decision or just want to install an educational app, carry out these steps to disable App Store restrictions:
- Launch the Settings App and click on Screen Time.
- Go to Content & Privacy Restrictions, then tap on iTunes & App Store Purchases and select Installing Apps.
- Choose Allow.
Guided Access is another valuable method to restrict your kids to any other apps, such as learning or educational apps. It’s a favorite of parents who wish to guide their children to useful channels.
The device is restricted to just one app when you enable Guided Access. Pressing the Home button or swiping upward does not exit the app.
Blocking the YouTube app on your network is a permanent solution if your kids discover ways to watch YouTube regardless of your efforts to block the app on the iPad. It is a fairly easy and quick fix. You simply need to know the IP address of your router.
Are you confused about how to find the router’s IP address? Read these instructions to understand the process:
- Power on your computer.
- Click the Start button, go to your computer settings and select the Network and Internet option.
- Choose View Your Network Properties and press Default Gateway.
The IP address will be available beside the Default Gateway. After you note down this information, be prepared to block the YouTube app from administrator settings.
Watch this visual step-by-step tutorial to understand better how to find the IP address:
Now, carry out these steps to do so:
- Fire up your browser and enter the IP address of your router in the address bar.
- Enter your router credentials to see the router settings.
- Go through the menu options and search for entries, such as URL Filters and Blocked Websites. Different manufacturers have it in different areas of the admin interface — but it’s a standard feature, so just look for it on this page.
- Choose the suitable option and type in the URL of YouTube in the list of restricted websites.
Although this solution inhibits everyone from using your network to watch YouTube, clever children may hunt for ways to navigate this hurdle. In that case, you will require some extra methods to restrict YouTube access.
Below, you will discover additional methods to cut off YouTube access so that your children spend fewer hours on the app.
How to Block the YouTube Website on iPad
It is possible to block the YouTube app by the above two methods. But if your child is a tech geek, he can use any browser to access YouTube. Some examples include Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.
Since we do not want this to happen, follow these instructions to learn how to block YouTube on iPad browsers:
- Launch Settings and click on Screen Time.
- Press the Content & Privacy Restrictions. Make sure that it is enabled.
- Click on Content Restrictions and Web Content.
- Now, pick Limit Adult Websites. This will block all unsuitable websites.
- But since YouTube is not an adult website, it won’t be blocked by default. So, beneath Never Allow, press Add Website.
- Enter the complete URL for YouTube and exit the Settings App.
From this moment on, your kids will be unsuccessful in watching YouTube through Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or any other iPad OS browser. A notification will say that the website is prohibited whenever they visit YouTube.
Clicking on Allow Website will pull up a request for the Screen Time passcode. Keep in mind that your kid will lose the ability to use Private Tabs on the Safari browser once you follow these steps. And if you want YouTube access once more, use the steps listed above until you get to YouTube — and then tap Delete.
How to Use Screen Time to Limit YouTube on iPad
Do you not want to block YouTube completely? Then you should consider setting up a time limit so that your children do not watch YouTube for hours on end. After your child passes the time limit, Screen Time will automatically block the app. The block will be active for the entire day.
You have learned how to restrict iPadOS browser access, but what about the app itself? When your kids are craving to view some fun videos, absolutely nothing will stop them from clicking on the icon and watching whatever they want. Well, nothing except for Screen Time.
Apart from blocking certain websites, this feature enables users to blacklist apps as well.
Are you interested to know how to block YouTube on iPad partially? Set a time limit on the app by following these steps:
- Launch the Settings App and click on Screen Time. If it is not set up, click on Turn On Screen Time and confirm by tapping Continue.
- Press This is My Child’s iPad and Not Now. Confirm by tapping Continue again. Establish a Screen Time passcode.
- Tap on App Limits and click on Add Limit.
- In order to block all entertainment apps, check the Entertainment box. If you do not want to limit the other entertainment apps, click on Entertainment and pick YouTube.
- Prescribe the required time limit. Alternatively, you can click on Customize Days to enable additional time on particular days in a week.
- Lastly, confirm Add.
This is how to successfully add a time limit on the YouTube app. Rather than viewing YouTube content all day, your child will be free to watch videos within the time frame set by you. And once they use up their YouTube time, they will be forced to use a different app or maybe switch to a different activity for entertainment.
If your kid demands more time, it is up to you to decide. But never make the mistake of sharing the Screen Time passcode with them.
Keep in mind that this method will not prevent your kid from viewing YouTube through Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or other browsers. In order to delete the time limit on the YouTube app, carry out the above instructions and click on YouTube and then Delete Limit.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have some additional questions running through your mind? Go through these frequently asked questions to know more about the topic.
Can you restrict YouTube by age?
If you are a YouTuber and your content is unsuitable for viewers below 18, try to add an age rating. This age restriction is supposed to be imposed by you; it is not an outcome of a review by the YouTube team.
When it comes to viewing any age-restricted content, viewers should be signed in, and only individuals 18 or older can view it.
Can you parental lock YouTube?
Try to use your kid’s device to directly block content on YouTube Kids through the Watch Page or Home Screen. Sign in to YouTube via your connected parent account to block particular channels to which you do not want your kid exposed.
After reading the complete guide on how to block YouTube on an iPad, you are now aware of all the different methods you can use to get this done. It is also possible to use a combo of methods if needed. For example, you can prevent the installation of new apps, restrict the app in different browsers, or in an extreme scenario — just delete the YouTube app altogether.
Even if YouTube Kids is a safer option, there are plenty of other video platforms that are both exciting and safe for your children. Therefore, explore and introduce your kids to these video websites instead.
Which solution will you choose? Tell us in the comments below. Thanks for reading!